GC students may fulfill their Global Experience requirement by gaining acceptance into select GC-designated Global Service programs AND enrolling in a 3-credit course in the Spring or Summer semester course called BSGC398A: Global Service (General Education: Diversity- Cultural Competency). This online course requires directed readings and reflective writings related to your Global Service / Alternative Break experience.
Your Global Experience requirement will be fulfilled upon successful completion of BOTH your Global Service experience AND BSGC398A.
Below is a list of GC-approved Global Service options. If you are interested in participating in a global service-learning program that is not listed on this page, you will need to have your request reviewed by a GC staff before enrolling to ensure it meets the requirements of a Global Experience. Please contact Natalie Vinski Ibrahim for more information.
GC-approved Alternative Breaks programs include:
- Andros, Bahamas: Environmental Conservation and Eco-Tourism
- Los Andes, Guatemala: Sustainable Community Development
- Port-au-Prince, Haiti: International & Grassroots Development & Advocacy
- Cabarete, Dominican Republic: Community Development and Education
- Nashville, Tennessee: Immigrant and Refugee Rights
- Washington, DC: Human Trafficking
- Cuenca, Ecuador: Indigenous Community Development
- Pine Ridge, South Dakota: Native American Rights
Note: UDM AB Programs not listed above will NOT fulfill the Global Experience requirement.
Other Approved Global Service Opportunities - contact Natalie Vinski Ibrahim for additional information
- UMD Engineers Without Borders
- UMD Students Helping Honduras
- Select UMD Hillel Alternative Breaks programs
- UMD Partners in Print (America Reads, America Counts does not apply)
- Latino Student Fund, Riverdale, MD - student tutoring (must complete 60 hours over semester or summer)
- City at Peace, Washington DC - facilitating youth theater projects related to social justice topics (must complete 60 hours over semester or summer)