GC students may fulfill their Global Experience Requirement by gaining acceptance into select GC-designated Global Service programs AND enrolling in a 3-credit course in the Spring or Summer semester called BSGC398A:Global Service (General Education: Diversity-Cultural Competency). This online course requires directed readings and reflective writings related to your Global Service experience.
Your Global Experience requirment will be fulfilled upon successful completion of BOTH your Global Service experience AND BSGC398A. Below is a list of GC-approved Global Service options.
To register for BSGC398A, please begin by submitting the BSGC398A Pre-Registration Form
If you are interested in participating in a global service-learning program that is not listed on this page, you will need to have your request revied by a GC staff before enrolling to ensure it meets the requirements of Global Experience. Please contact Natalie Vinski Ibrahim for more information.
GC-approved UMD Alternative Breaks
- Andros, Bahamas: Environmental Conservation and Eco-Tourism
- Los Andes, Guatemala: Sustainable Community Development
- Port-au-Prince, Haiti: International & Grassroots Development & Advocacy
- Cabarete, Dominican Republic: Community Development and Education
- Nashville, Tennessee: Immigrant and Refugee Rights
- Washington, DC: Human Trafficking
- Cuenca, Ecuador: Indigenous Community Development (Must register for BSGC398A through Summer Session)
- Pine Ridge, South Dakota: Native American Rights
- Boston, Massachusetts: From the Roots Up: Planting the Seeds for Food Justice Through Urban Agriculture (Must register for BSGC398A through Summer Session)
Note: UMD AB Programs not listed above will NOT fulfill the Global Experience requirement.
Other Approved Global Service Opportunities
- UMD Global Brigades - All UMD Chapters: Medical, Dental, Public Health, Business
- UMD Engineers Without Borders
- UMD Students Helping Honduras
- Select UMD Hillel Alternative Breaks programs
- AIESEC Global Volunteer Programs
- Latino Student Fund, Riverdale, MD - student tutoring (must complete 60 hours over semester or summer)
- City at Peace, Washington DC - facilitating youth theater projects related to social justice topics (must complete 60 hours over semester or summer)
- Mi Espacio Mentoring Program, Casa de Maryland, Langley Park - after school mentoring for high school students (must complete 60 hours over semester or summer) *accessible via UMD shuttle - Please contact Delmis Umanzor at firstname.lastname@example.org or (240) 671-7194 to apply to become a mentor.