GC students may fulfill their Global Experience requirement by gaining acceptance into select GC-designated Global Service programs AND enrolling in a 3-credit course in the Spring or Summer semester course called BSGC398A: Global Service (General Education: Diversity- Cultural Competency). This online course requires directed readings and reflective writings related to your Global Service / Alternative Break experience.
Your Global Experience requirement will be fulfilled upon successful completion of BOTH your Global Service experience AND BSGC398A.
Please see below for the list of pre-approved GC-designated Global Service options. If you are interested in participating in a global service-learning program that isn’t on the pre-approved list, you will need to request a review from GC staff prior to enrolling in the program in order for it to count towards fulfilling your Global Experience requirement. Please contact Natalie Vinski Ibrahim for more information.
GC-approved Alternative Breaks programs include:
- Andros, Bahamas: Environmental Conservation and Eco-Tourism
- Los Andes, Guatemala: Sustainable Community Development
- Port-au-Prince, Haiti: International & Grassroots Development & Advocacy
- Cabarete, Dominican Republic: Community Development and Education
- Nashville, Tennessee: Immigrant and Refugee Rights
- Washington, DC: Human Trafficking
- Cuenca, Ecuador: Indigenous Community Development
- Pine Ridge, South Dakota: Native American Rights
Note: UDM AB Programs not listed above will NOT fulfill the Global Experience requirement.
Other Approved Global Service Opportunities - contact Natalie Vinski Ibrahim for additional information
- UMD Engineers Without Borders
- UMD Students Helping Honduras
- Select UMD Hillel Alternative Breaks programs
- UMD Partners in Print
- Latino Student Fund, Riverdale, MD - student tutoring (must complete 60 hours over semester or summer)
- City at Peace, Washington DC - facilitating youth theater projects related to social justice topics (must complete 60 hours over semester or summer)